The Global Citizen Award (GCA) is a programme that encourages international volunteers to use their overseas experience to take action and raise awareness of global justice on their return to Ireland. There are 3 levels of the GCA, each with various requirements. These will be outlined on page 11 of the handbook.
The GCA is about:
- Promoting The United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Global Justice
- Highlighting the interdependence of the Global North and the Global South
- Critically reflecting on global social justice issues
- Global Solidarity
- Change Making
- Advocacy and awareness raising
All returned volunteers (18+) in Ireland with a minimum of 3 weeks overseas volunteer experience. Your 3 weeks can be built up cumulatively, allowing your award to be reflective, without restriction, on when you went volunteering.
There are 3 achievable Award options; Bronze, Silver or Gold with various actions tailored to suit you!
The Global Citizen Award is;
- Completely individual! You won't be competing with other participants, so it is a personal achievement for you!
- Open to all returned volunteers in Ireland with a minimum of 3 weeks overseas volunteer experience. The 3 weeks can be built up cumulatively, allowing your award to be reflective and without restriction on when you went volunteering!
- While you are able to begin straight away with the Gold Award, you also have the option to begin with the Bronze Award and work up from there to the higher levels!
- FREE! There is no fee to register for the Bronze, Silver, Gold Global Citizen Awards!
So what's stopping you - register today & start raising awareness of global issues & the SDGs in your local community!